Sunday 16 January 2011

Mad dogs and Englishmen: Day 16...16!!!!

So, today I decided to start half marathon training, decided to run 8 miles ( I hastily planned the next few weeks long runs).

I downloaded the free audio fuel track and did a quick first two miles (worth a try it's a good track) , lots of people out walking dogs as the sun was out and although it was a bit windy it was in essence a beautiful day.

As a psychologist, fear is interesting. As a runner and a long time dog-phobic, fear is about the last thing you want to experience when four miles or so from home. In the woods,alone, miles from civilisation (ok slight exaggeration, maybe 3 miles) I am suddenly aware of a noise, I turn and look and I am being chased by a fierce looking, but small dog.....Oh My, first instinct is to run, but although I am successfully completing consistent fast miles these days I can't really run faster than a 7 min mile for about 40 seconds.... Dilemma...do I run or do I hide.


I did neither, I stopped, walked quickly, and gave the dog my best hard stare, the dog fortunately stopped, looked less fierce and it was at that point I noticed it was actually quite a smallish dog...Nonetheless, I continued my run ( it was an out and back) and I was brave enough to run the same way home.


As for the English men, well they were sadly few and far between this morning. Oh well tomorrow is another day!

Miles:8
Legs:2
Mad dogs:1
Narrow escapes from mad dogs:1
Total miles:

No comments:

Post a Comment