Thursday 20 January 2011

Don't mess with the stats! Day20!

Miles:1
Total:57


Time is limited, this is the most frustration part of Janathon, I would have loved to run longer today, but I just physically only had 15mins child free time, so one mile it was. I ran one mile round the block outside mini jogger not a blogger's school, and I ran that mile in 9:20, so guess I shouldn't complain.


Yesterday's graph/stats prompted a discussion at Uni today, apparently I should delete day 16 as it's showing up on my data as an outlier which is making my data non-significant. Now as a Psychologist, finding significance in the data is everything, with out significance there is nothing, I may as well go and work in a cake shop. As a runner, day 16 was my longest run 8 miles...I am so not going to delete that from my graph!!! Instead to balance out my data and improve the standard deviation I plan on 10  miles at the weekend and lots of bigger mileage runs whilst mini is at her Dad's...So hope that sets the data a little less skewed and pleases my stats genius friend.


My janathon may not be statistically significant, but to me it definitely is :o)

4 comments:

  1. Stuff the stats mate. They only say what you want them to say anyway! If it's significant to you then awesome. One mile is equal to ten when you hardly have any time and a nipper to look after! Props to you and keep on keeping on. Not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know I've gone over to the dark side this year and am now well into qualitative, not quantitative data. Analysing qualitative data usually shows that the non-sig stuff is sometimes the most interesting... Proud of you, Jo! Mwuah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 miles is 8 miles... it stays on the stats, significance is in the eye of the beholder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is no way I would be deleting 8 miles off my stats, well done in fitting in the mile, it all counts

    ReplyDelete