Friday 14 January 2011

Day 14- Run because...

It's a strange cathartic thing to go for a run with no music just the echo of your thoughts in your mind. It's unusual for me to run without the background base pumping, mentally motivating me to go and keep going. Today I snatched a quick run in between working, lunch and school run and dentist. Sometimes I have just one thing I think about, you can almost feel it rattling around in your brain as you think through it, process it, chew over it. 

Today my thoughts were deep, unclassified, off the wall, my thoughts were around what makes a person choose to run every day in a whole month. Having read lots of books about running (admittedly some with more nutty ideas than an extra nutty fruit cake) I know that actually, exercising every day isn't advised. But yet, I find myself on day 14, looking forward to my recovery runs, thinking about running when I am not running, and today I ran 2 consecutive 9 min miles. This is faster than I have ever run in a long time. At one mile in, I looked at the clock and nearly fell over, admittedly  it was raining, cold and I had eaten a few tic-tacs earlier, but that's way faster than normal, which just isn't me, I am slow Jo, not Jo who runs a sub 10 min mile...

I thought today about Ron Hill, he's run every day for many, many years. I wonder, I run for several reasons, mentally it keeps me healthy, it means I can eat cake and feel less guilt, it means I can challenge myself and test out my abilities and I can also eat cake, 14 days in I am not faltering, needing less sleep, eating like a horse, I wonder if Ron Hill can do it...maybe slow Jo can...

Miles:2
Speed: Fast 
Dinner: Chicken with cashews and Basmati rice
Wine:Pinot




1 comment: